About Shared Lives Camden
Shared Lives Camden is a service where adults with care needs live in the homes of people who support them. This includes short stays and more long term arrangements. By sharing your home and family life, you’ll support someone to lead an independent, healthy life as part of our community.
Who can become a Shared Lives carer?
Anyone over 18 can become a Shared Lives carer. You don’t need formal qualifications or experience. You do need a spare room and a willingness to share your home. You also need to be kind, patient and understanding to become a carer.
What you’ll be doing
The support you’ll give will depend on the needs of the person, but could include:
- Supporting with hobbies and activities, a job or volunteering
- Helping to get to appointments and managing medication
- Getting involved with your local community.
What you'll receive
- Between £433 and £524 each week as a self-employed carer.
- Training and ongoing support from the Shared Lives Camden team to make sure you feel safe and comfortable at every step of the way
- Regular respite from caring role
- The opportunity to join a supportive community of Shared Lives carers in Camden and the national Shared Lives Plus network of over 10,000 carers.
To find out more about what it's like to be a Shared Lives carer, and how it can make an incredible difference to someone's life, watch this video created by the Shared Lives Plus national network.
The safety and wellbeing of everyone involved in Shared Lives Camden is our absolute priority. Precautions are being taken to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to carers and people who are receiving support - including self-isolation and testing.