How and where to get help from

Who is eligible for support?

In order to access drug and alcohol treatment you must live or be homeless in Camden or be registered with a Camden GP.

How can I access support?

Please make contact with your local service depending on what your primary support needs are:

020 3317 6000

This service is able to support complex drug users.

020 7485 2722

This service is able to support non-complex drug users.

020 3227 4950

This service is able to support primary alcohol users.


If you are unsure what service to contact please call one of the services above who will be able to put you in contact with the right service depending on your needs. If you don’t feel you are able to contact the services yourself please contact social services or ask your GP, a relative or friend to phone for you.


Lower My Drinking

Lower My Drinking is an online self-assessment tool that will recommend a tailored intervention based on the results of your self-assessment. If your results identify that you may be at increased or higher risk it may recommend you access the Lower My Drinking brief intervention app (Google Play and App Store). The app can support you to track and reduce your drinking to within 14 units a week or less through scientifically proven tools.


To take the self-assessment use the link below. It is free for Camden and Islington residents.


To access the app please search for ‘Lower My Drinking’ in the App or Google Play Store or you use the below links.

App Store -

Goggle Play -


SHP Recovery & Service User Involvement

You can also access recovery support and service user involvement initiatives through SHP. For more information about the service please make contact, 020 7520 8660,


I am deaf

textphone: 020 7974 6096

fax: 020 7974 6704


Urgent help

If your circumstances change before someone contacts you and you think you need urgent help then please contact us by phone on 020 7974 4000 or 020 7974 4444 out of office hours.


More information on Camden drug, alcohol and recovery services



What will happen after I have contacted Camden?

The drug or alcohol treatment service will arrange a time to talk with you to carry out an assessment of your needs. Once the service has established your support needs a care plan will be put in place. Community drug and alcohol services are free of change for Camden residents, people who are homeless in Camden or people registered with a Camden GP.

Types of help people can get in Camden

Drug and alcohol services in Camden offer a range of support for people experiencing substance misuse issues. These include:

  • Comprehensive assessment and care planning
  • Counselling
  • One to one and/or group support
  • Peer led support
  • Family/carers support
  • Access to mutual aid groups including; SMART, NA, CA, AA
  • Community detoxification
  • Substitute prescribing
  • Access to residential detoxification and rehabilitation
  • Access to education, training and employment opportunities
  • Aftercare and social inclusion