Camden is full of generous people and we’re extremely grateful for everyone that volunteers their time. We’re really proud of the generosity, the spirit and compassion of our community.
Every voluntary act makes a real difference to people’s lives and we’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone that has played and continues to play their part. From food preparation and delivery to pharmacy collections and leafleting, volunteers have shown countless acts of compassion to help each other.
We are delighted that over 2,000 people volunteered via Time to Spare. This is on top of those who have volunteered through other routes such as NHS GoodSAM and local organisations.
We are working hard to signpost and match interest to where you can make the most difference. In the meantime please find more information on volunteering in your community below:
Voluntary Action Camden have created an online directory of voluntary and community groups. You can use this directory to find and connect with services and activities run by community groups across the borough.
Camden Mutual Aid Groups
Camden’s Mutual Aid Groups have been providing essential local support in communities across the borough. To find out more including your local group and how to get involved, visit their Facebook page:
Other useful links ·
- Volunteer Centre Camden
- Camden Coronavirus Mutual Aid Group
- Volunteer Centre Camden's Good Neighbour Guide
- Volunteer Protocol
- Share Doctors of the World Coronavirus information in different languages
Volunteers, as well as VCS staff are considered vital to support the running of essential services. Provided VCS organisations and volunteers are engaged in delivering essential services, including collecting/ delivering shopping and medication, the recent government restrictions do not apply to these activities.
To keep everyone safe, the advice and guidance for volunteers to prevent the spread of infection still applies - this includes avoiding face to face contact and frequent thorough hand washing. Find out more in the Volunteer Protocol.
To support all the people who volunteer in Camden, we have developed a short video series with additional guidance to help keep you and our community safe.
The series includes:
How we’re helping voluntary Camden is very proud of the efforts of its residents in these unprecedented times and we are amazed by your generosity and desire to help each other. To support you in your efforts, Camden Council can provide the following:
How we’re helping the voluntary and community sector
Camden is very proud of the efforts of its residents in these unprecedented times. We’ve already invested £1 million to help local groups in Camden. We’re also providing the following:
Sharing information about mutual aid groups with local residents via our various communications channels.
- Our Public Health teams are happy to evaluate materials and offer advice on health and safety.
- We are liaising with other public bodies to ensure that they are aware of resident initiatives that are supporting community action;
- We are offering mutual aid groups free access to the council’s own online safeguarding training but also training on personal safety, resilient families and managing uncertainty. For more information please email: [email protected].
- For more information on safeguarding read safeguarding adults advice for mutual aid groups. For more information contact [email protected]
How the volunteer brokerage service can help you and your organisation
The service can help match volunteers with voluntary and community organisations which have a need for verified/ vetted volunteers. The service will also help to verify or carry out new DBS check with volunteers.
You can use the brokerage service to request volunteers with specific skills or background for community activity.
If you need volunteers for a particular role please email [email protected] and let us know:
- What the role is (brief summary)
- How many volunteers you need
- Is a DBS required?
- Your contact details including phone number
When we have this information, a member of the team will contact you.
If you have existing volunteers that either need their current DBS to be verified or need a new DBS:
Please email [email protected] and a member of the DBS team will contact you.
You can also use the brokerage services as part of your contingency planning:
- Do you have particular activity planned that will need specific volunteer skills? The brokerage service can search for volunteers who have declared those skills and vet/ ID check them.
- Do you have concerns about how you might fulfil your future volunteering needs? You can contact the brokerage service now with your needs so we can start contacting the people you need.
- Do you think the needs of your clients/ organisation might change? You can contact the service with more information about your future needs so we can update and review our training offer to volunteers
Contact us at [email protected]