Coronavirus update

For staff and residents' safety and to avoid the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), prior to vising you, our officers will check whether anyone in your household has tested positive or has coronavirus symptoms.

If you do have symptoms, the officer can only carry out observation from street level and will not be able to enter residents' properties.
If the noise affecting you is not audible from street level, you will receive further advice regarding the action, if any, that can be taken while you have coronavirus symptoms.

We will continue to review government advice and will update residents if we need to make further changes.

We know that residents may remain worried about the impact of coronavirus. The council is working to support the community as much as possible by ensuring that services can be delivered as safely as possible. 

Report a noise problem

The easiest way to stop noise can be to speak to the person causing it. They may not be aware that they are disrupting other people.

If there is a threat of violence or harassment, call the police on 999.

To investigate issues, the council runs a response service to witness noise at the following times: 

Monday – Friday day: 9am – 5pm 
Monday – Thursday night: 6pm - 2am
Friday night: 9.00pm – 4.30am 
Saturday: 1.00pm – 4:30am 
Sunday: 10:30am – 2:00am

Report a noise problem

(you will need to log in, or create a Camden Account)

What will happen next

If the noise is not currently happening, or is happening outside our response hours, we will contact you within 5 days to advise.

If the noise is happening during our response hours, we aim to return your call within an hour to confirm that the noise is still on. We will need to carry out an assessment from inside your property.

We can’t attend the site if you do not answer our call.

Depending on the evidence gathered during our assessment - and if it is safe - we may approach your neighbour to resolve the problem.

If follow-up action is required, the noise and pollution team will contact you within 5 days.

Your details will be kept confidential.

If you are experiencing issues reporting a noise problem online please call 0207 974 4444. If you are calling out of hours select option 2.

Construction noise

Noise from construction is limited to:

  • 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday
  • 8am - 1pm on Saturday 

No noisy work should take place on Sundays or bank holidays. Exceptional work may be allowed outside of these times, when there is:

  • an emergency
  • a risk to public safety

Contractors must have permission for this.

How we deal with noise complaints

The government has produced guidance to explain how councils should deal with noise complaints.

This includes information on specific types of noise, including construction, alarms, and noise at night.

Read government guidance on how councils deal with noise complaints.

Help for council tenants and leaseholders

If you’re a Camden Council tenant or leaseholder and you've reported a noisy neighbour, we can take action to enforce the Camden Council tenancy conditions or lease. We only do this as a last resort, when other options have been explored.

Contacting noisy neighbours

We usually make contact with the person causing the noise. If we cannot, it may be impossible for us to deal with your complaint successfully.

If your complaint is about low level domestic noise and more due to the structure of the building rather than unreasonableness of your neighbour, we might be unable to take action.  If uninsulated laminated flooring is the cause of the level of noise we can ask that this is replaced.

Sometimes there are complaints about the person who made the original complaint. Where it is not clear who is at fault, or a negotiated agreement between everyone is needed, we may offer mediation which can help this to happen. 

Reducing noise in your home

If someone has made a complaint about noise coming from your home, you can read about how to reduce noise in your home (PDF).

Noise diary

Keep a record of noise incidents using a noise diary for council tenants and leaseholders (PDF).

When noise nuisance continues we may need to consider court action. We need consistent, well-recorded evidence of noise to do this.  

The more evidence we have and the more witnesses willing to give evidence, the better chance we have of being able to take successful action.

Legal action

Formal action might be action against:

  • a tenant for breaking conditions in their tenancy agreement
  • a leaseholder for breaking conditions of their lease

Getting an injunction or an undertaking in court may be the most likely outcome. Breaching one of these can result in a fine or imprisonment. 

For serious noise nuisance cases caused by our tenants we will consider possession proceedings in court which could lead to their eviction. 

Antisocial behaviour support

If legal action becomes necessary you may need to give evidence in court. We can talk about the support available to you if you need it. 

If you need to attend court we can offer support through our antisocial behaviour support service (PDF).