A Discretionary Housing Payment provides financial support to help with rent or housing costs. It is:
- not a benefit
- given at our discretion
Who can apply
You can apply if you get either Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.
We may award Discretionary Housing Payments for several reasons including when:
- rent eligible for benefit has been restricted because of the bedroom tax
- the benefit cap has been applied
- there is exceptional financial hardship
We cannot award Discretionary Housing Payments to cover:
- water, meals, fuel or other ineligible charges included in your rent
- a reduction in Housing Benefit caused by recovery of an overpayment, or a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) sanction
- rent arrears for a period when you were not on Housing Benefit, or the housing element of Universal Credit
More information is available in the Discretionary Housing Payments policy
How to apply
Complete the Discretionary Housing Payments form if you believe you may be eligible.
Money and debt advice
If you need help with the cost of living or debt, there is support available.