Who needs a building licence?

You will need a building licence for building works involving scaffolds, hoardings, gantries, temporary crossovers (dropped kerbs) and for opening up the carriageway or footway.

You will also need to book a parking suspension if your works take up all or part of a parking space.

Applications are subject to the Highways Act 1980.

Building Licence Fee

Minor works: £409.50 (plus a £692.10 deposit)
Standard works: £626.85 (plus a £1499.57 deposit) 
Major works: £1363.95 (plus a £4037.32 deposit)

How long does the licence last for? 

Licences last for a maximum of 6 months. The cost for a two month extension is £152.25.

If we have to visit the site, such as because of a complaint, each inspection costs £68.25. Any extension and inspection costs will be deducted from your deposit before it is refunded.

Apply for a building licence

The quickest and easiest way to apply is by email:

  1. Download: Building Licences Application and Guidelines (PDF)
  2. Read the guidelines
  3. Print off the pack and fill in the application form
  4. Email to: [email protected]
  5. Allow ten working days after you think the application has been received before contacting us for the permit number

Search for a licensed structure

You can search for licensed structures in your area:

Search for street works