Apply for council housing

To be able to access council housing you first need to successfully join the housing register.

To join the housing register you will need to have:

  • been awarded more than 30 points when you apply (see below to apply)
  • household savings or financial assets below £32,000
  • lived in Camden for 5 out of the last 7 years

Before you apply

It can take up to 30 minutes to apply. You cannot save your application and come back to it.

Make sure you have details of:

  • all your addresses for the last 7 years
  • full names and dates of birth of everyone on your application
  • the immigration status of everyone on your application
  • your income and savings
  • any medical conditions or disabilities
  • due dates of expectant mothers

Start your application

Are you a council tenant?




There are some exemptions to these rules which are listed below. 

Do I need to have lived in Camden for 5 out of the last 7 years?

You do not need to have lived in Camden for 5 out of the last 7 years if you:

  • have been placed in accommodation outside of Camden by us, such as emergency accommodation or residential care
  • are fleeing violence or harassment
  • are a council or housing association tenant living in Camden who is under-occupying (have more rooms than you need) and wish to move
  • are working with our homelessness prevention team to prevent your homelessness
  • are moving on from supported housing and cannot move into private rented housing
  • are a former member of the armed forces
  • need to move because we are redeveloping or repairing your home
  • need to move because you are fostering a Camden child or to provide or receive extensive care 
  • have a council tenancy elsewhere but need to move for employment

Household savings or financial assets over £32,000

You can join the housing register if you have household savings or financial assets over £32,000 and you:

  • qualify for extra care sheltered housing
  • need a fully adapted home which is not available in the private sector 
  • need to move for redevelopment reasons
  • Rent arrears
  • You can join the housing register if you’re in rent arrears and you’re:
  • keeping to an agreement to reduce your arrears
  • moving to a more affordable or smaller home and may qualify for a payment which would reduce your arrears 
  • need to move because of harassment, violence or essential repairs

For more information read the Full Housing Allocation Scheme 2018 (PDF) or the Housing Allocation Scheme 2018  summary (PDF).

What happens after you apply

If it looks like you qualify to join the register we will contact you to check your answers. We will then give you points and you can use these to bid for properties.  

If you do not qualify for our housing register, we will send you a letter:

  • explaining why 
  • advising on other housing options
  • saying what you can do if you disagree with the decision

We cannot offer a home to most people who apply as we do not have enough properties. You need to have a very serious need for housing to have a chance of moving into a council home. Even then, you may have to wait several years before a property becomes available.

You can look at other options, such as finding somewhere to rent with a private landlord.

We can also give advice if you're worried about becoming homeless.

How many bedrooms can I have?

The number of bedrooms you are eligible for depends on the number of people on your application. We will assess how many bedrooms you need using the following steps. 

Step 1 - One bedroom for you, and your partner or spouse (if any)
Step 2 - One bedroom for any additional adult couple
Step 3 - One bedroom for any two additional people of the same sex
Step 4 - One bedroom for any two additional people of the opposite sex aged nine and under
Step 5 - One bedroom for any additional person

Appeal a housing application decision

If we decide that you do not qualify, we will let you know in writing. You can appeal a decision on your housing application up to 21 days from the date of the letter.

The decision is unlikely to change, unless your circumstances have changed since your application. You will need your housing application number. 

Appeal process

Stage 1: If you disagree with a decision, you can ask us to reconsider it up to 21 days after we have issued the decision. We will make a decision and reply to you within 14 days.

Stage 2: You can also request a review of the stage 1 decision if you disagree with it. You must do so within 21 days of the decision being issued. You must provide your reasons for disagreement in writing. We will make review the decision and reply to you within 56 days